Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 7 = The Examen


For those of you who aren't aware of the Examen, this is a simple tool that enables you to reflect on a period of your life (a day/ week/ term/ etc) and consider what gives consolation (joy) and desolation (despair). It's an Ignatian (Catholic) exercise, and can be an extremely powerful tool for prayer and drawing closer to God.

It's often done through stilling the soul, asking God to lead your thoughts and then seeing what images and memories surface when you're remembering what was good and what was not so good. Then taking those thoughts and feelings, and asking God to direct your future, so that you may focus on more consolation and less desolation. It's a bit more complicated than that, so if you want to know more, see www.ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-examen/


I was asked to write my testimony and life story today, so I used the examen of my life as a means for prayer. It brought back many memories of good and bad times that had somehow sunk below the surface, and I found it very informative in the way that God's been leading me throughout my life and revealing in where he's currently leading me now.

I wouldn't advise doing an examen of such a long period of time as you tend to get less depth of the details that emerge and can be quite startling, but it was an interesting exercise, and one I occasionally do to reflect on what I feel to be significant days at the time. I would recommend giving it a go, as it can be an easy way into prayer, and really help in terms of finding divine guidance in times of decision.



No comments:

Post a Comment