Thursday 7 March 2013

Day 23 = Talking with God


An interesting take on prayer, probably not too dissimilar from the typical format of intercession but maybe with a little more silence included, I came across this method yesterday whilst googling different methods of prayer, and thought it sounded like a nice, relaxed way of 'doing' prayer and a great outlet for the concerns I've had about my friends and people I've met this week.

Not in the same manner as in the Old Testament times, when people were radically transformed (physically and emotionally) by talking with God, and it could, to an outsider, appear to be a very dangerous thing to do, the modern twist of talking with God includes bringing him concerns, thoughts, worries and just having, again to what would appear to an outsider as, a one-way conversation with a friend. Chatting informally about all kinds of topics and focussing on the one or two issues that really present a concern at a given time.

I've tried to do this before, usually whilst driving or waiting for someone, but too many distractions have presented themselves, and so tonight, I chose to talk with God in the bath (one of my two favourite places of prayer; the other being my car...) after my husband had gone to bed, all the chores had been done for the day and the mind was clearer and less busy.

I found the time a little difficult to get away from all the distractions at first, but it quickly became a haven of peace, solitude and comfort, and took my burdens away, allowing me to feel really settled for a good night's sleep. I think this is something I'll come back to a number of times, as I love chatting with people, and who else is better than God who sees everything and goes everywhere, reducing the need to waste time setting the scene and filling in the background info. Also, it helps me unload my cares to a safe place where I can trust the answers will come in time.


No comments:

Post a Comment