Friday 8 March 2013

Day 24 = Paper craft


So this is something I like to do when I go on a retreat (at Beuno's, Spring Harvest or somewhere with a well-stocked art room) and was the craft for REInspired yesterday (the theology in schools programme for Reading that I help with). So buoyed on by the success of the children yesterday and the 'abysmal' weather we're having today, I decided to get stuck into paper craft as soon as I woke up this morning. Or more precisely, a 3D image with different types of paper.

I decided to use a message very familiar to me (as I still haven't got used to this English weather despite having lived here for 15 years) and got my crepe paper, card and cotton wool out to recreate a cloudy day at London Docklands (notice the gherkin, Exchange Tower and London City airport), but starting with a bright and brilliant blue summer sky, then overlaid with a range of clouds. As I worked on each stage, I used the object that I was modelling to form my prayers, so starting by praying for the UK economy then thanking God for sunshine etc.

The scripture didn't actually come to the very end when I was looking for a Bible verse that would fit the picture (often the way I like to do prayer paper craft), but when I found this one, I thought how apt it was. For those who can't see, the message is: "we may not always see the sun, but it is always there" and the scripture is "behold! I AM with you always - even to the end of the age. Matthew 28:20".

This was a really enjoyable use of prayer time and I now have something tangible to remind me of my prayer time and the message it contains whenever I pass it hanging on my wall. I like making things in prayer time; I guess it's because the sense of touch is so important to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment