Wednesday 20 March 2013

Day 35 = Writing a psalm


An often-quoted method for prayer, and an activity central to almost every retreat I've been on, psalm-writing can come in all different shapes and sizes. 

I find that a typical way of writing a psalm is to focus on an already written psalm from the scriptures (or song of praise from another part of the Bible), be still, think about what words are central to one at any time, and have the freedom to explore creatively and either linguistically or visually the cognitive setting of such words and the emotional scenario in which one enters the prayer.

So I found myself on my drive home, singing along to one of the songs on my worship CD which featured a psalm from the Bible as retold by this particular artist. The words of the artist, and original biblical writer, didn't quite cut it for me today as I was feeling tired and stressed, and needed more freedom to express my words, so, using the backing music, I sung out my words, thoughts and desires to God as most prevalent to me today.

A lot of it was focussed on the despair I was feeling based on the attitudes, expressions and actions of those I've found myself surrounded by recently, and in particular, the darkness embodied in the maltreatment of aboriginal Canadians which I was studying yesterday, and the insane decisions taken by a number of drivers on the roads this evening in their rush to get home (before what?).

I started singing my thoughts and concerns without planning the form, structure and content of my 'psalm', but found myself repeating certain phrases, linguistic moods and underlying emotions. Halfway through my prayer-time, I reached my home, went inside and continued my psalm. In the comfort and security of my house, I found myself becoming more at one with the prayer and free to use my tone, volume and pitch of voice to match the words I used.

I varied my melody by using different songs and creating new music, and I encapsulated all of my feelings, both the highs and the lows. I didn't feel uplifted at the end of the session, but I felt strengthened, empowered and tasked with being Jesus' hands and feet in the situations I find myself in, choosing to act where necessary, rather than just burying my head in the sand, however hard that might be for me - always focussing on others wherever possible.

Whether my song of need and hope could accurately be described as a psalm, I have my doubts, but the method used is often quoted and practised by others when 'doing their spirituality' and has a strangely edifying effect. Perhaps I may return to this method again in the not too distant future.


No comments:

Post a Comment