Tuesday 12 March 2013

Day 27 = 'To sew is to pray'


It may seem that I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel here in terms of finding different ways to pray, but I guess that's cos I'm such a creative spirit, and at the moment, I'm feeling more than a little tired from too much going on in my life... 

Today's method is sewing. As the author (Louise Erdrich) of the following passage I came across recently says:

"To sew is to pray. Men don’t understand this. They see the whole, but they don’t see the stitches. They don’t see the creator in the work of the needle. We mend. We women turn things inside out and set things right. We salvage what we can of human garments and piece the rest into blankets. Sometimes our stitches stutter and slow. Only a woman’s eye can tell. Other times, the tension in the stitches might be too tight because of tears, but only we know what emotion went into the making. Only women can hear the prayer.”

In other words, I picked up my camp blanket, a bunch of badges that needed attaching, my YouTube player and let the spirit lead me into what I needed to pray for, and in what manner I could find my soul refreshed. I wasn't too surprised to find that lots of the songs I chose to listen to whilst sewing were sombre (to match my mood...): Time to say goodbye/ You raise me up/ Requiem for a soldier/ Abide with me/ I cannot tell.

I ended up finishing my camp blanket catch-up, uplifted, with a broken thread spool, at peace, aware of an encroaching cold, still. The combination of the music, crafting and freedom to meditate seemed to pay off. Perhaps tomorrow I could pray by sleeping and more focussed reflection of something scriptural.



No comments:

Post a Comment