Thursday 21 March 2013

Day 37 = Walking with the Lord


Not to be confused with living with the Lord, today I spent my prayer time reflecting on the physical world around me, escaping the humdrum of a materialistic, inanimate world, and letting my prayers feed on the activities unfolding around me whilst taking a gentle walk around a lake and through a forest - an idyllic place indeed!

For once, I didn't worry about getting soaked in wet mud, I didn't get scared of the geese (until I realised that one particular was not going to let me past on the path, despite my numerous attempts...), I didn't plan my prayers in words in advance, I turned my phone off, I let the spirit guide me, I incorporated everything that I could sense around me and I relaxed into prayer.

My shoes were soaked. My socks were wet for the rest of the day. My feet got really wrinkly. I was late for my next appointment (not so that anyone else would notice). I got dried mud encrusted on my jeans. I enjoyed my walk. I felt at one with the created world that God has made. I appreciated my prayer time. I felt energised and refreshed. I felt stilled and at peace. I incorporated different elements into my prayer: intercession, thanks, apology, silence.

I'd recommend it for anyone. There are many lakes, rivers, streams, copses around, probably one very near you. So take a hike, get dirty and truly observe what God's created and what he's doing in you. It's worth putting the calendar on hold for a little while, and it's one of the most relaxed prayer times I've had recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment