Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 15 = Counting one's blessings


Today I had a bit more time, so decided to use my new book that I got for my birthday (the inspiration for my 40 days = 40 ways to pray) to see what suggestions it had to offer, and the first one I saw that I liked was to get a bowl and a pile of beans, and each time you put a bean into the bowl, you hear a satisfying 'thud' and thank God for something in your life.

I don't have any beans, but I do have a heart-shaped vase filled with paper stars (the ones all little girls make thousands of in Singapore, China and other such places), so I tipped them all out and spent the afternoon putting them back into the vase as I thanked God for all sorts of things in my life, from friends to my android phone, gardening to Elliott Elifant.

I was surprised by how good it feels to not just use short simple thanks prayers (e.g. before you eat, before you go to bed, when your car starts etc.), but have a concentrated time of thanksgiving and blessing-counting. Perhaps not something I'm going to do everyday, but certainly something I will try to do on a weekly basis.



No comments:

Post a Comment