Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 19 (Sunday) = Living with the Lord


I often spend long car journeys in prayer, using the beautiful scenery that I pass, discussions, natural silences and background music to direct my prayers, and provide a foundation for further exploration. This weekend was the first time I didn't have that freedom to pray quite like I'm used to, as I was the driver, rather than the navigator this time. But as I felt afterwards that my journey was one of the best prayer times I've had, I chose driving as my method of prayer for today.

I prayed before setting off on both journeys, and sent up a few arrow prayers over the course of the trip. I reflected on what I've been learning about God, my calling and those around me in the silences. And I followed any promptings from the Spirit, trusting in God to keep me and my passengers safe. I learnt that I don't like motorway driving, that sometime I'm going to have to take a retreat in the New Forest as it's such a stunning place, and that when we truly trust and follow God, even the most scary times can seem sane and peaceful.

I used my experiences during the trip to provide a running commentary on what I was learning about other drivers, (and, to an extent, the message this gave me about other travellers on this journey called 'life'), to my passengers and God throughout the journey. I didn't realise quite how much I believe the power of prayer had on the safety of us all until I was shunted the next day while stationary in heavy traffic on a side street in Reading. I'm not going to allow myself the opportunity to consider the damage the same van may have caused had I been on the motorway at the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment