Thursday 25 April 2013

Day 44 = Strolling in a Temple


Having been raised in a country where Taoism is widely practised, I'm familiar with temples and feel at home taking a walk round different ones, watching people offering their prayers and after-life possessions, experiencing the eclectic mix of the sweet smell of incense, the stillness of Daoist worship and the vivacity of swarms of pray-ers entering the temple and adopting their chosen positions. There's nothing quite like a modern Taoist temple to stir feelings of nostalgia and home comforts.

More than the actual temples, however, is the appeal of the quiet gardens where those on the fringe of worship gather to collect their thoughts, seek space from a hectic lifestyle, and bond with family members from different generations. I've often spent time chilling out in the gardens around the temples, smelling the flowers that grow there, watching the fish swim and catching the odd musical beat of temple drums. Whenever I have time, and opportunity, I withdraw to one of these temples and have my own quiet time, with God.

Whilst on holiday, I discovered my favourite temple that I've ventured into, so far in my life. Bao'an Temple is that place. What with the refreshing breeze trickling through the gates and walls of the temple courtyard, the subdued sounds from the surrounding city bustle, the darkness where star-gazing is possible, the sparkle from the mosaics on the walls, the gentle patter of its man-made waterfall, the escape from others sitting at the top of the waterfall, and the rhythmic drone of passing aeroplanes coming in to land at the nearby airport, there is something quite special and ethereal about this place of worship, that surprisingly, doesn't extend to the attached temple building, but exudes and resides in the courtyard.

I spent a long time slowly wandering around the quad, seeing the ever-changing light-shifting of the koi, studying the differences in the results of artistic prayer, and becoming more at peace with myself and the world that God has created by savouring the smooth flow of water on the top of the rocks at the artificial falls. I had a good time of stillness and peace, listening to God and what He had to say to me at this time. I also used the screech of the landing gear kicking into place of each passing plane as intercessions for those around the world and who I no longer walk quite so closely with from my past.

Having grown up very close to one of the world's busiest airports, there's nothing quite as exciting, measured and comforting as a plane coming in to land. So, although others may see this action as an interruption and disturbance in a time of solitude and hush, it actually greatly enhanced my prayers, and the combination of airport proximity and water flow made this temple experience extremely precious. A place I could return to again and again if it weren't quite so far from my house.


No comments:

Post a Comment