Wednesday 24 April 2013

Day 41 = Praying through customs


Sometime, I will have a period of praying using different ideas and patterns from a range of denominational and faith backgrounds taken from across the world, and perhaps also, from across the years. I didn't have much opportunity, largely due to lack of cognitive creativity and time for consideration this lent, to research many patterns of prayer, incorporating only 'ghusl' and 'niizhwaaswi gagiikwewin' into my meditation times this month. 

I would love to have dipped into a much wider pool of traditions. Perhaps my aim for next year will be to explore more cultures and customs. For those looking for ethnographic inspiration today, perhaps try another website. My focus of prayer this Monday of Holy Week used an alternative definition of customs, namely, those gates encountered each time one enters a country.

As I was in the United Arab Emirates for a day trip today, I spent rather a lot of time trying to enter the country as there is a sense of calmness that exudes many areas across Abu Dhabi and neighbouring Gulf states, which extends to a complete stop on the need to rush anywhere or act quickly. Instead of becoming impatient and frustrated, I used the opportunity to pray reflectively on the scenes that were unfolding around me, both visually and in my memories. I again handed over my trip to God, asking that He direct my steps and lead me to where I need to go. 

I used images from the TV's unfolding report of violence in Syria and other countries to lift up to God the fears we have and the concern expressed, that we are often powerless to do anything about. I invited God deeper into my life and asked that He be encountered by all those who were crossing into the country ahead of me, taking time to remember also people across the world who were at that time, going through customs, in their localities with a vast number of concerns and a diversity of situations. 

Those who were relocating to different countries for job prospects, peace, safety, health, and to follow where they feel they were being called, for carrying the gospel into new lands, in the form of books, tent-making, the need to listen and understand, and humanitarian projects. I personally will never see or know all the situations that people find themselves in, but that doesn't stop me from lifting them to God and asking for His peace and protection over them all.

Unsurprisingly, I felt that my 90 minute wait to enter Abu Dhabi passed much more quickly after I started praying, and helped me to start my day off right. I had a wonderful day, meeting new people, experiencing little signs and wonders, and seeing more of this wonderful world that God has created, and in which we are privileged to live, and felt that my prayer time today was valuable and a unique step in my progress this lent.


No comments:

Post a Comment