Saturday 20 March 2010

God comes to us

There's a famous statement that Mohammed wouldn't come to the mountain so the mountain came to Mohammed. I've found this to be reflected in my life this week.

I've been really busy over the last week with everything that a lecturer needs to do in the last week of the term - marking essays and portfolios, writing reports, setting and marking exams, helping my students to plan and give presentations, lots (and lots!) of staff meetings... I'm sure you get the picture! I knew that I would barely have enough time to do all this and was fully aware that I would have to severely cut down on the number of Christian meetings I attended this week. No more Monday staff Bible study, Tuesday Communion, Wednesday student Bible study or Friday postgraduate Bible study. In short, pretty much no Christian meetings at all. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised that God seemed to think and prepare other alternative venues for me to fellowship with Christians and to contemplate more of His calling.

I found myself talking about God a few times to various friends and students who questioned me about my beliefs. Conversations seemed to spring up from nowhere, completely unplanned, yet which I felt very comfortable with. I think a different group of people asked me everyday to explain my beliefs and quizzed me about some aspect of Christianity that I hadn't thought about for a while, and they also seemed to gain a lot from our conversations. In addition, I felt led on two occasions to take my work out of the office and after wandering around for a bit, trying to find somewhere relatively quiet and relaxed that I could continue my work, stumbled upon two Christian meetings in progress, in a manner that allowed me to listen and seek God whilst simultaneously being able to continue my work.

It seems that we don't always have to seek God; that sometimes, He comes out looking for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment